The prerequisites for doctoral studies are clearly outlined in the applicable doctoral degree regulations and will be checked again in the application form. Please provide the following information and documentary evidence:
As a first requirement for doctoral studies, you must prove that you have earned a university degree in the corresponding academic discipline. Recognized degrees include the Diplom, the master's degree, the Magister as well as the state examination. Your final grade must be equivalent to the German “gut” (better than 2,6 at least) or in case of the first or second State Examination with „befriedigend“ at least.
Which field of study is considered relevant? To put it simply, you cannot earn a doctorate degree in economics if your university degree has been earned in biology. Interdisciplinary doctoral projects are of course always possible. Please first talk to your advisor about your plans and clarify this question, so as to avoid any unpleasant surprises during the application process. The final decision on whether or not a previous degree is considered academically appropriate will be made by the relevant doctoral committee. Please note that neither the Graduate School nor the student counseling service are in a position to make such decisions.
English language skills (not required for doctoral projects at the Faculties of Education and Humanities & Social Sciences)
Proof of English language skills can be furnished by:
- Passing the TOEFL test in the Internet-based version with a minimum score of 85 points
- Passing the TOEIC test with a minimum score of 785 points
- Passing the IELTS 5.5 test
- Passing the Cambridge Advanced Certificate of English (CAE) exam with grade C or higher
- Passing modules of any higher education degree of at least 30 ECTS credit points, taught exclusively in English and whose final examination was in the English language
- a successfully completed degree in English
- a certificate from an English-speaking school qualifying for higher education
The above English language requirements do not apply to graduates holding a master’s degree from Leuphana Graduate School.
The TOEIC test can also be taken at the Leuphana Foreign Language Center. We recommend that you first take the placement test. The Foreign Language Center also holds office hours and offers a two-week preparatory course for the TOEIC test. Unlike in the master's program, the test fees will not be reimbursed. For full information regarding the TOEIC test, please visit the webpage of the Foreign Language Center.
You can hand in the requested proof of English language skills subsequently until the end of your third doctoral studies semester. In this case, you are admitted as a doctoral student on the proviso that you will make up for this pre-requisite.
The proposal is a max. 5-page description of the dissertation project including its preliminary title. In this essay you should give a detailed description of the research question you want to investigate, the methods you are going to apply, the current state of research and the existing scholarly literature.
Evaluation of the doctoral project by the advisor
The advisor’s evaluation should include a judgment on the candidate’s academic qualification, the doctoral project and the project’s academic relevance. The evaluation must be submitted in writing without any specific form being required and must be signed by the advisor.
The choice of your doctoral degree depends on the discipline your dissertation project and your advisor are assigned to. In case of doubt, please make sure about this assignment with your advisor.
- Faculty of Business and Economics: Dr. iur, Dr. phil., Dr. rer. nat., Dr. rer. pol.
- Faculty of Education: Dr. phil.
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences: Dr. phil., Dr. rer. pol.
- Faculty of Sustainability: Dr. phil., Dr. rer. nat., Dr. rer. pol.
- Faculty of Business and Economics (german) [PDF, 152 KB ]
- Faculty of Education (german) [PDF, 149 KB ]
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (german) [PDF, 149 KB ]
- Faculty of Sustainability (german) [PDF, 151 KB ]
Student Counselor, Graduate School