TRANSDISCIPLINARY RESERACH AT THE SCIENCE | SOCIETY INTERFACE
Each year since 2012, Leuphana University Lüneburg has offered the Td Summer School – Transdisciplinary Research at the Science / Society Interface. Designed for both scientists and practitioners (such as companies, NGOs, and governments), the Td Summer School focuses on the work at the interface between scientific and non-scientific (societal) realms.
Leuphana offers a 5-day Intensive Training and a 2-3 day Special Training in transdisciplinary research. The Td Summer School prepares researchers and practitioners for joint research on societal challenges at the science | society interface. The courses provide both theoretical and methodological foundations, as well as experience in designing and implementing transdisciplinary research processes.
A special focus of the Td summer school is on broadening the participants’ disciplinary and interdisciplinary research towards a transdisciplinary approach, and on enabling practitioners to expand their role in contributing to transdisciplinary research. Bringing together scientists, practitioners and policy makers, the Td Summer School allows participants to experience multiple perspectives and a joint elaboration of roles, tasks and responsibilities in cooperative research and the transformation of societal challenges.
- Understanding the emergence of transdisciplinary research in the context of societal changes
- Getting familiar with different transdisciplinary research methodologies and process designs
- Gaining skills in inter- and transdisciplinary research methods: mutual learning and knowledge integration methods, methods of boundary work, validation and assessments
- Exploring how to broaden the participants’ disciplinary and interdisciplinary research by adopting principles of transdisciplinary research
- Identifying different functions of transdisciplinary processes and respective roles of involved parties
Td Summer School 2016
In March 2017, the Td_Escuela de Verano will be implemented in Valparaiso, Chile from March 5 - 10, 2017. In cooperation with the Universidad de Valparaiso and the Espacio Interdisciplinario of UdelaR, where the Td_Esucela de Verano was implemented in 2016, we will further explore and foster transdisciplinary research in Latin America. Further information will be provided soon.
Td Summer School Office
Center for Methods
Scharnhorststraße 1, C4.008
21335 Lüneburg, Germany