TRANSDISCIPLINARY RESERACH AT THE SCIENCE | SOCIETY INTERFACE
Each year since 2012, Leuphana University Lüneburg has offered the Td Summer School – Transdisciplinary Research at the Science / Society Interface. Designed for both scientists and practitioners (such as companies, NGOs, and governments), the Td Summer School focuses on the work at the interface between scientific and non-scientific (societal) realms.
Leuphana offers a 5-day Intensive Training and a 2-3 day Special Training in transdisciplinary research. The Td Summer School prepares researchers and practitioners for joint research on societal challenges at the science | society interface. The courses provide both theoretical and methodological foundations, as well as experience in designing and implementing transdisciplinary research processes.
A special focus of the Td summer school is on broadening the participants’ disciplinary and interdisciplinary research towards a transdisciplinary approach, and on enabling practitioners to expand their role in contributing to transdisciplinary research. Bringing together scientists, practitioners and policy makers, the Td Summer School allows participants to experience multiple perspectives and a joint elaboration of roles, tasks and responsibilities in cooperative research and the transformation of societal challenges.
- Understanding the emergence of transdisciplinary research in the context of societal changes
- Getting familiar with different transdisciplinary research methodologies and process designs
- Gaining skills in inter- and transdisciplinary research methods: mutual learning and knowledge integration methods, methods of boundary work, validation and assessments
- Exploring how to broaden the participants’ disciplinary and interdisciplinary research by adopting principles of transdisciplinary research
- Identifying different functions of transdisciplinary processes and respective roles of involved parties
The Td Summer School addresses researchers and practitioners (for example, policy makers, managers from industries, NGO representatives) from all disciplines and societal fields, as well as graduate students with research experience who want to develop their research and professional activities towards transdisciplinary approaches at the science | society interface.
The Td Summer School training modules are implemented annually by the Center for Methods and the Faculty of Sustainability. The responsible for the Td Summer School is Prof. Dr. Ulli Vilsmaier. Themes for the Special Training Module vary, and are implemented in cooperation with differing partners of Leuphana University Lüneburg.
Td Summer School 2016
For the first time the Td Summer School was offered in Spanish. In cooperation with the Espacio Interdisciplinario, Universidad de la República the Td Training Modul has been implemented in Montevideo, Uruguay. More
Td Summer School Office
Center for Methods
Scharnhorststraße 1, C4.008
21335 Lüneburg, Germany