Studying with a disability


According to a recent survey, approximately 11% of students in Germany have a disability, chronic or mental illness or partial performance disorder that directly affects their studies.1 At Leuphana University, the proportion of students with disabilities or health impairments is reported to be around 2.6%.2 Due to the low response rate, however, it can be assumed that the proportion is likely to be much higher.

Information & Counselling

If you have any questions or need advice on the subject of studying with disabilities (including compensation for disadvantages), please contact Prof. Dr. Martin Lenz-Johanns, the representative for students with disabilities at Leuphana University Lüneburg. Please see the contact section for further information and counselling services.

Preferential registration for seminars

Students with special time restrictions related to a disability or chronic illness can make use of the "Vorwahlrecht" at Leuphana University. This offers the possibility of preferential registration to selected courses before the regular registration procedure begins. More information here.

Funding Opportunities

Possible funding options for students with a disability or chronic illness are:

  • Financial support
    e.g. scholarships, BAföG, exemption from fees, travel grants, housing benefits etc.
  • Technical aids
    e.g. remote reading devices, microphone systems, Braille printers, handicapped accessible vehicles
  • Work equipment tailored to requirements
    e.g. computer workstations, book money
  • Assistance services
    e.g. study and work assistance to support you in your daily study routine, sign language or written interpreters, housing and household assistance
  • Housing and leisure
    e.g. housing subsidies, sports and leisure facilities

Accessible University

For the most part, the campus is accessible. This includes reserved parking spaces, e.g. for wheelchair users, automatic door openers and lifts in almost all buildings, barrier-free sanitary facilities and ramps. If you have special needs or need general assistance in using the campus facilities, you can contact the Representative for Students with Disabilities.

If you encounter barriers in our webcontent, please contact