Prof. Dr. Anne Barron
Professor for English Linguistics
Prof. Dr. Anne Barron is Professor of English Linguistics at the Institute of English Studies at the Leuphana University of Lüneburg. Her fields of interest are interlanguage pragmatics (in particular acquisitional pragmatics), second language acquisition, cross-cultural pragmatics, variational pragmatics (especially the pragmatics of Irish English), sociolinguistics, dialectology, discourse analysis and contrastive genre analysis (particularly promotional genres).
Employment and Positions
- since 2011: Professor of English Linguistics (W3) at the Leuphana University Lüneburg
- 2010-2011: Professor of English Linguistics (W2) at the University of Bayreuth
- 2001-2009:Assistant Professor (adademische Rätin/ wissenschaftliche Assistentin) for Applied English Linguistics at the University of Bonn
- 2006-2007: Visiting Professor (Vertretungsprofessorin) of English Linguistics at the University of Frankfurt a.M.
- 1998-2000: Research Assistant (wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin) for Applied English Linguistics at the University of Bonn
- 1997-1998: Part-time lecturer in Linguistics at the University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Belfast
- 1995-1997: Part-time linguistics tutor at University College Dublin
- 1995: Translator/ English trainer at EVS Translation (Vick Sprachen), Offenbach a.M.
Education and Degrees
- 2010: Habilitation (post-doctoral thesis) in English Linguistics. University of Bonn
- 2001: Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics. University of Hamburg
- 1996: MA in German (Linguistics). University College Dublin
- 1994: BComm in International Commerce and German. University College Dublin
International advisory work
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Pragmatics
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Intercultural Pragmatics
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Study Abroad Research in Second Language Acquisition and International Education
- Regular peer reviewer for a range of publishers (e.g. Palgrave Macmillan, John Benjamins, Routledge), research organizations (e.g. the European Science Foundation (ESF)), conferences (e.g. International Conference on Pragmatics and Language Learning (PLL), International Symposium on Intercultural Communication and Pragmatics) and peer-reviewed edited volumes
- Regular peer reviewer for a range of journals, including Applied Linguistics, English for Specific Purposes, Intercultural Pragmatics, Journal of Applied Linguistics and Professional Practice, Journal of Pragmatics, Language Learning, Language Sciences, Language Teaching, Modern Language Journal, System, TESL Canada Journal, The Modern Language Journal
- Series Editor with Studies in Pragmatics, Brill, together with May-Britt Mosegard Hansen and Kerstin Fischer