Visa and Residence

  • Visa and residence permit regulations
  • Proof of financial means
  • Health insurance
  • Registration of residence
  • Residence permit / Electronic title of residence (eAT)

Visa and residence permit regulations

In general, foreign nationals who wish to study in Germany must apply for a student visa in order to enter Germany, for which financial requirements must be met and proof of insurance must be provided. Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa because it cannot be changed into a student visa. Students from EU/EEA countries generally do not need a visa for entry.

Please check here whether you require a visa:

Students from non-EU countries who are studying in an EU member state, please note the following special legal regulation:

Proof of financial means

When applying for a visa, you already have to prove that you can cover your living expenses during your entire stay. To do this, you must prove financial means of currently 934€ per month. You can prove this by putting the corresponding amount in a blocked bank account (Expatrio, Fintiba). Please note that a part-time job in Germany is not sufficient for self-financing and is not recognised as proof of financing.

Health insurance

In Germany health insurance is compulsory. Therefore, international students must provide proof of adequate health insurance coverage during their stay in Germany. Travel insurance will not be accepted!

Health insurance is compulsory from the time of enrolment, regardless of the date of entry to Germany.

Students from countries that have signed the Treaty on Health Care Abroad must only provide proof of health insurance in their home country and along their electronic health insurance card/AT 11. Please note that for working during the study period a public health insurance in germany is compulsory for all students, even for EU citizens. We also recommend taking out private health insurance abroad to cover any additional costs that may arise.

Students from other countries can take out public student health insurance in Germany at a cost of 120 euros per month. It can be arranged in advance online. Alternatively it is possible to enter Germany with a travel insurance and take out health insurance within seven days after arrival. Foreign health insurance will usually not be accepted except if unlimited coverage is guaranteed. In specific cases students can be excused from the health insurance compulsory. Students aged over 30 must take out private health insurance within the first week upon arrival

Please find more information on the German health insurance system here.

Registration of residence

All international students, including those who do not need a visa, must register their place of residence in Lüneburg with the local Registration Office.

The registration of exchange students will be effected during the orientation week. Please register on your own, if you arrive earlier.

The following documents are necessary for registration:

Please note that you must give notice of your departure.

Residence permit / Electronic title of residence (eAT)

If you enter Germany without a visa, you must apply for residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office, which must be received no later than 90 days after entering the country.
If you entered Germany with a visa and your stay will exceed the duration of the visa, please apply for extension of your residence permit 6-8 weeks before it expires.

Online application Foreigners' Registration Office


The Foreigners Authority (Ausländerbehörde) is located in the Lüneburg Bürgeramt:

Bardowicker Str. 23
D-21335 Lüneburg

Please make an appointment!
Fon: +49.4131.3093252